What do you want from your senior year #SacNewTech
Tonight we had an informal meeting with roughly 35 parents and seniors of the Sacramento New Tech High School class of 2016. There was no agenda, no formal meeting space, no power point presentation, no refreshments. We simply had a single driving question:
What do you want from your senior year?
This year Sac New Tech will focus on culture. A major component of the culture that we want to develop is student voice (afterall, school is and should be about kids).
We didn’t know how many, if any, students would show up. We didn’t expect their parents to show up. Luckily for us, both happened.
So here is a brief list of how the group answered the question:
- I would like my child to learn about what the next step (college) looks like. (parent)
- Can we bring sophomore trips to college campuses back? (parent)
- Can we set-up SAT and ACT prep here on campus? It is expensive and it would be nice if we could do it together. (student)
- Can we work to help students who are in the D range sooner in the grading period (help them over the hump)? (parent)
- We would like to plan memorable trips and activities. Can we focus on fundraising that will help us do the things we would like to do? (student)
- I would like to see student activities that we use to do return to the campus. (student)
- Can we have Super Advisor (a combined grade-level advisor) back? I like when we use to have it, it helped me better connect to the school. (student)
- I would like to see a consistent approach to advisory across the campus. A student’s advisory experience shouldn’t depend on the teacher they get or the classroom they happen to be in. Also, can this experience incorporate things like social media responsibility and other life lessons? (parent)
- It would be nice to have a return of parent information nights and trainings for parents. (parents)
- Can we work as a school to learn how to deal with drama? (student)
It is really nice to see so many responded to the question with a question of their own.
2015-2016 is going to be an amazing year. If you were at the meeting and see something we missed, please add it in the comments below. If you weren’t able to make it and would like to add, please share below. This is your school and we want to make this experience about helping you learn and grow. However more than that, we want you to know that your voice matters and we want to hear it.
Go Timberwolves! #SacNewTech