What a week!
We welcomed the class of 2021 to high school here at New Tech this past week and it was a lot of fun. They are a curious, articulate, and empathetic group of students who the school is lucky to have.
One story that stands out to me is that of a young lady who saw someone being unkind to a classmate. This freshman, three days into a new school year at a new school, did what few freshman across the country typically do when they see someone experiencing uncomfortable harm. She spoke up!
Now this young person is an amazing young woman who is full of courage. However, she trusted us at New Tech enough to speak up even when the issue involved an adult.
As I begin my third year at one of the most unique and student-centered schools I have ever been a part of, I can tell you that this level of empathy and courage is not rare at our school. Our school culture empowers our community to speak up and support each other. I am so proud of our staff and returning students for providing the conditions for our new students to feel safe.
Here is a short video where some of these new students introduce themselves:
Next Week at New Tech:
- Monday & Thursday school starts at 9:05am
- Rest of the week school starts at 8:25am
- Tuesday, August 15th – Design Team Meeting
August at New Tech:
- Thursday, August 24th – Opening Showcase (Back to School Preview Night)
- Saturday, August 26th – Kaplan SAT Prep Starts (sign up with Hugo)
- Tuesday, August 29th – Kaplan SAT Prep
- Tuesday, August 29th – Design Team Meeting
- Tuesday, August 29th – New Tech Night at the River Cats (contact the front office for information)