Students Share How #SacNewTech Did in Our First Week
I think it’s very important to have a feedback loop, where you’re constantly thinking about what you’ve done and how you could be doing it better. – Elon Musk
On Friday, we asked students to share with us how they felt and what they thought after their first week of the new school year at Sacramento New Tech. It is important that we ask them to give us feedback regularly so they can help us better serve them and their school. The following images share a few questions and responses from Sacramento New Tech Students:
The above information is nice to see, but we also deeply value what students have to say. So we asked them to share in their own words, what we did well as a school in our first week together. Here is a sample of what they had to say:
- We made everyone feel extremely welcomed, especially the freshman. Also, we started this year with teachers already helping the students meet their goals.
- Sacramento New Tech got right this week was that the teacher got outside with there new students and introduce themselves.
- You made us feel welcomed and wanted but a couple people didn’t.
- New Tech made me feel like I can have an opinion.
- The reflection rally was pretty rad with the open mic.
- New tech did a good job of making new students that came feel welcomed.
- New Tech students were so nice and supportive on the first day of school.
- All the teachers being great & being patient with the students.
- I think they did good by being more involved with the students.
- Making me feel respected.
- Everything has been great with the new teachers and new students, the new tech environment is super fun!
- Sacramento new tech did good at introducing the Fresh Fest and having our first rally today.
- Tateishi missed me so I felt good.
- Make us feel welcome and get to know the new students.
- I like the new principal at this school.
- I was able to redo an assignment that I forgot to do.
- I think the slow and steady entrance into the school year is nice. I also like how everything is very calm this time around.
- Everything, I am so honored to be here!
- Every last little thing. Everyone was friendly and cooperative.
- Teachers are very helpful, especially Baker.
- I like how friendly of an environment Sacramento New Tech has.
- Sac New Tech did many thing right. For example they had all the teachers outside there to meet the new students but also to welcome back the returning students.
- The principal has been around and has talk to the students. Also he has being around the classrooms which is a good thing.
- Sacramento New Tech got the welcoming and the environment right.
- Getting class started smoothly.
- The rally was cool.
- Throughout this 1st week, what New Tech did great is in welcoming new and former students, besides that giving us a glimpse and heads up about this year what were.
- They had everyone get to know each other.
- Everyone was very friendly and inviting. The teachers were clear and concise and were very diligent about posting assignments on echo.
- Welcoming us to the school.
- The introductions and how the principal went into the classrooms.
- Everything it actually convinced me to stay for a longer time
- I believe that the first week has been strong. The staff has been busy learning names, and I think the new students are doing the same. I also appreciate that we are Bringing back Club Days. I like Club Days.
- I love the relationships between teachers and students and how close we are.
- Everything, I felt very safe
- I felt new tech allowed me to adjust to my new setting at a good pace. I felt very welcome by all the staff and generally that they were happy to see me. They did everything right to be honest, I like how they show how the rest of the school was going to be and the expectations of the students. I want to give a shoutout to Mrs. Baker she is always on top of everything and makes sure everyone has the tools they need to succeed and graduate. She also gave surveys to help better teach her students! As a senior I always learn the most from her and Gillespie. They make me want to learn and grow as a person as I learn about Political Studies.
No matter how good you think you are as a leader, my goodness, the people around you will have all kinds of ideas for how you can get better. So for me, the most fundamental thing about leadership is to have the humility to continue to get feedback and to try to get better – because your job is to try to help everybody else get better. – Jim Yong Kim
We also are aware that regardless of how we do, we can always provide a better experience for our students and community if we remember to ask: What can we do better? How can we do better? Here is what the students shared when we asked them that:
- Later start times Tues-Fri around 8:15.
- The food they need different food and not just burgers and pizza.
- Have combined lunch every Wednesday.
- I didn’t enjoy the P.E teacher as much as my other teachers.
- Make fewer requirements to graduate.
- Make me feel secure because now I’m scared I will fail.
- Have a soccer team and have combine lunches.
- Start later.
- I think New Tech can improve on making lunch more fun. Have more activities because there’s times when lunch is very boring.
- Give us a weekly update on everything.
- Please get new computers.
- Changing the time Tuesday-Friday to a little later but overall great school.
- I honestly believe we have done pretty good this week.
- Having Fresh Fest not be overnight was probably a mistake in the long run, students just ended up complaining there weren’t enough activities.
- How we had to get our schedule one hour before class started we should have gotten them from email like a week before school starts. So if we wanted to change one of our schedule or classes we can tell you guys ahead of time, so we don’t have to change class in the middle of the week.
- Sacramento new tech did nothing wrong this week they did everything excellent and well done.
- The grade levels are extremely separate so we rarely see each other around campus or communicate. It would be better if the freshman and sophomores could feel comfortable talking to and asking for help from Juniors and Seniors and have the Juniors feel comfortable asking Seniors for help and advice.
- They should let us come at 8:00 not 7:45.
- It was a little bumpy this week with all the new changes, such as new teachers coming in and old ones having to leave, new class mechanics, etc.
- School starts way too early.
- Fresh Fest could have been better.
- We were told we would have combined lunch last year but so far didn’t happen.
- Play music during lunch.
- Nothing they did everything well.
- COMBINED LUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Not having a Leadership class.
We asked for your feedback and we have heard you. Please be on the lookout for how, with your help, we will build on our strengths and address many of your concerns over the next few weeks and months.